In honor of “I Heart Camp” Day (February 1), here are 10 reasons why, as a parent, I love camp for my own kids:
2. My kids smile and laugh more at camp than they do anywhere else.
3. The counselors at camp – young adults who love kids and the outdoors and fun – are rock solid role models and the antithesis of reality TV characters. They’re the kind of people I want my kids to grow up to be like.
4. At camp, my girls spend very little time in front of mirrors and a lot of time looking at strong, brave women who climb mountains and fly across lakes on sailboats, all with very little (or no) make up and wearing the same dirty sweatshirt they wear every day at camp.
6. The incidental exercise my kids get hiking around camp adds up to a lot of mileage, but since they’re singing songs and talking with friends, they don’t even notice how much exercise they’re getting.
7. My kids have learned what real, deep friendships are at camp. They’ve formed close relationships with people of all ages and from different countries. The connections they have made at camp are like a tightly knit web of support that will be with them their whole lives.
8. Camp gets my kids off their phones and computers and away from the stress of not having as many “likes” or “friends” as somebody else.
9. At camp my kids are challenged to get outside their comfort zone and try things they wouldn’t normally do. And that really builds their confidence.
10. And, finally, I love that at camp my kids just relax and have fun. No pressures of school, competitive sports, and social cliques. Just fun.
I could list 100 reasons why I “heart” camp, but here are just a few. Happy I Heart Camp Day!
What do you love about camp? Comment if you have time!