Join the Sunshine Parenting PATREON squad for bonus perks, including bonus podcast episodes and exclusive posts and resources!
Join Audrey’s email subscriber community for resources and ideas for happier, more connected families.
Bethany Saltman, this week’s guest, is the author of Strange Situation: A Mother’s Journey into the Science of Attachment. Bethany is an author, award-winning editor, and researcher. Her work has been in The New Yorker, New York Magazine, Atlantic Monthly, Parents, and many other publications. Bethany also works as a best-selling book coach, a communications director, and an in-demand mindfulness mentor, consulting writers and entrepreneurs at all stages of their creative process. She helps her clients envision and execute projects, from book proposals to content development and messaging to Big Ideas, and more. A longtime student of Zen, Bethany is devoted to the fine art and game-changing effects of paying attention. She lives in a small town in the Catskills with her family.
• Being a Zen (or Buddhist) parent
• How to come to terms with who we are as a person and as a parent.
• Steps for being in the moment with our kids and returning to ourselves.
• How meditation (noticing the thought, let it go, return to your breath/body, return to your intention to be a kind and attuned parent)
LINKS & RESOURCES
• Bethany: “I learned that secure attachment is not what I thought it was, and it’s much bigger, it’s much more forgiving, it’s really much more empowering than Dr. Sears would ever have you think.”
• Bethany: “That’s the beautiful thing about this work is that it really directs us so much deeper than those superficial feelings.”
• Bethany: “It’s a very primitive orientation towards security and towards safety.”
• Bethany: “Just let anything happen and stop talking. In time, your senses will return and you’ll come back to yourself.”
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS EPISODE, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
ONE SIMPLE THING
This week’s One Simple Thing is one of the “Sticky Note Solutions” from Happy Campers: 9 Summer Camp Secrets for Raising Kids Who Become Thriving Adults.
SUBSCRIBE TO SUNSHINE PARENTING
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
If you enjoyed this episode and know of others who would be encouraged by the ideas, please share!
Leave a review for the Sunshine Parenting Podcast on iTunes! Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and I would love your support in helping people find Sunshine Parenting!
Would you like to have access to bonus posts and podcast episodes and be part of my next book? Join me as a supporter on Patreon!